How Rotary in Great Britain & Ireland promotes equality, fairnesss and respect.
Equality & Diversity Policy
Rotary in Great Britain & Ireland is committed to promoting equality, fairness and respect.
- We aim to create an environment where diversity is recognised, valued and celebrated.
- We will provide opportunities for all Rotarians to develop and to fulfil their potential.
- We will engage fully with our diverse society.
- We will take care to assess the impact of our policies and their implementation on race, religion and belief, gender, gender re- assignment, disability, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and age equality. These are the "Protected Characteristics" contained in the Equality Act 2010.
All Rotarians are responsible for:
- Maintaining an environment that is free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
- Ensuring that behaviour complies with equality and diversity legislation.
- Respecting the dignity of others.
- Speaking out against discrimination, harassment and bullying they are subject to or witness taking place.
- Demonstrating valued behaviours.
- Maintaining confidentiality on issues raised
We need to make sure that if a challenge under the Equality Act 2010, or other relevant legislation, occurs in our district, confidentiality and discretion is of utmost importance. We must ensure that the Rotarian dealing with the case is provided with all relevant information. In the first instance individual Rotarians or Club Officers should inform John McGill (District Equality & Diversity Officer) of the issue, using the form at the bottom of the page.
If required the District team can seek assistance from the RIBI Secretary/CEO and RIBI Equality & Diversity Officer. The RIBI E&D Officer is Ken Billington and he is contactable via details on the RIBI Directory or through firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RIBI Policy document has been modified, with the agreement of the national Officer to suit the requirements of D1190 and a copy can be found here. Rotary_Equality_and_Diversity_Policy_D1190.pdf
Clubs are reminded that they should re-visit the Equality & Diversity Policy on an annual basis. Failure to do so may mean that any challenge is unable to be supported by our Insurers.
Contact John McGill about this page: