How it started
A brief history of the club
It all started on February 16 in 1932 when the Whitehaven, Kendal and Lancaster Rotary Clubs arranged a luncheon at the Criterion Restaurant, Cornwallis Street, and a number of Barrovians were there.
As a result, it was agreed to start a Rotary Club in Barrow and town mayor Alderman R.T Dockeray, Colonel R Thompson, Mr C.B.G Ellison, Mr H.C Diss, Mr R Twentyman and Mr W.G Milligan were asked to form a committee.
They arranged a meeting on March 9 where Major Henry Mossop became the first president.
It seems that the first formal meeting was held in early November when the Reverend J Thompson, of St Mark