Congratulations to the new members of the RotaKids Club of St Mary's C of E Primary School Bideford
Bideford Rotarians were thrilled to be invited to meet the fourteen children who have founded the new RotaKids Club at the school with the help of Miss Ashton (Melissa). Youth Chair Rotarian Sue Bartley made a delicious cake to celebrate with and what a great welcome they and the school gave us. Far too busy admiring the cake to look at the camera;-)
We are now well into 2016. The year, as usual, will be a busy one. Please send in your photos and articles so that we can put them here.
Bideford Raises Â£1200 for Shelterbox
At our December 2015 Big Sheep collections the Farmers Market visitors and exhibitors generously gave over Â£1200 -Thank You!
The Rotary Club of Bideford was formed in 1925, the Club Charter being granted from 27th May 1925. The Mayor of Bideford, Dr E J Toye was appointed the first president of the Club. A cable expressing congratulations and best wishes was received from the Biddeford & Saco Rotary Club in Maine, U.S.A.
In 1955, using the spade which the Duke of Edinburgh had used to plant a tree to commemorate his visit to Bideford in 1952, President of Bideford Rotary Club (D.W.Friendship) planted the first of five trees at the rear of the Port Memorial Gardens to mark the 50th anniversary of the Rotary Movement.
In 1975 in celebration of Bideford Rotary's 50th anniversary, a new ï¿½5,000 ambulance was presented to the St. John Ambulance Association.
2005 was the year of Rotary's Centenary, and Bideford Rotary's 80th anniversary. Visitors from Biddeford & Saco were hosted, and at the special luncheon there was a display of photos relating to the relationship between the American and Devon Clubs. President Ron Blick dedicated a bed of 100 roses in Victoria Park.
In addition to the links with the namesake club in the U.S.A.,there are similar links with the Rotary Club of Uelzen, Germany. Visits are made to both clubs, and we host members of those clubs in return.