Rotary District 1190 Youth Service homepage
Youth Service Information
Please check dates via the District Website Home page / Events for any amendments.
To help you with the various Youth Activities during 2018-2019 please download the file below:
Dates for Diary 2018 -19
FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE VARIOUS COMPETITIONS & YOUTH ACTIVITIES HELD BY, OR RUN IN, DISTRICT 1190 - PLEASE CLICK ON THE APPROPRIATE TAB TO THE RIGHT OF THE SCREEN. These subpages are regularly updated, and will include contact details, and where known, entry deadline dates etc.
NOTE FOR ROTARIANS LOOKING FOR THE YOUTH COMPETITIONS RULES & GUIDANCE NOTES:
The updated Youth Competition information packs and guidance notes are annually uploaded to the RIBI website.
Rotarians: You can find the info packs & guidance notes for all the competitions here: https://www.rotarygbi.org/members/humanitarian-service-programmes/youth-service/youth-competitions/
Log in to "My Rotary" will be needed to gain access.
If you have any queries you can also send an email to Shaun Ashworth,
email@example.com District Youth Service Chairman.
The Rotary Youth Speaks Competition is a well-established and successful competition organised and promoted by Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland. It is a local and national competition which is designed to support and encourage the development of effective communication skills.
This competition offers young people:
- Experience in speaking on a public platform as a member of a team,
- Discipline in dealing with a topic in a limited time,
- Impartial feedback and assessment of performance by experienced adjudicators.
The competition is open to all schools and college communities including those that are home educated and any other young people’s community organisations, for example, community RotaKids, community Interact, Scout Groups, Girl Guides.
Download the Youth Speaks Information Pack 2018-19 for full details.
- 5th October 2018: Give schools information about heats at Club level, again working with other clubs if necessary, using RIBI Rules.
- 31st October 2018: Notice of Participation to District Coordinator.
- All entries to the district event coordinator, by 4th January 2019 but the final closing date for entries to this event will be 20th January 2019 and costs £40 per team paid by the local Rotary Club.
- 2nd February 2019 District Finals – Windermere School, Patterdale Road, Windermere, The Lake District, LA23 1NW
- 30th March 2019 – Regional Final Host District 1180, Wrexham
- 11th May 2019 RIBI Final The Rotary Showcase, Nottingham
For full information select the following link:
Young Writer Information Pack 2018-19
The topic for 2018-19 is: “My Inspiration”
- 2nd March 2019: Date by which schools send entries to clubs.
- 23rd March 2019: Closing date for entries submitted to the district coordinator.
- 6th April 2019: District winners to Rotary in Great Britain & Ireland to be judged at national level.
The topic for 2018-19 is: “Beauty of Nature”
Young Photographer Information Pack 2018-19
- 2nd March 2019: Closing date for Club level entries. Mobile phones can now be used – but must be printed.
- 23rd March 2019: Closing date for entries to the district coordinator.
- 6th April 2019: District winners to RIBI, to be judged at national level
Young Chef Information Pack 2018-19
- Dec 2018: hold your Club heats to identify District Finalists
- 7th Feb 2019: District Final, The Lakes School, Troutbeck Bridge, WINDERMERE, LA23 1HW
- 16th March 2019: Regional Final Host District 1190 Kendal College, Milnthorpe Road, KENDAL LA9 5AY
- 27th April 2019: RIBI Final Leeds City College, Printworks Campus, Hunslet Road, Leeds, LS10 1JY
This year's entrance fee has been reduced and is now only £35 per entrant.
Young Musician Information Pack 2018-19
- Jan 4th 2019: closing date for entries to District Organiser.
- ? Feb 2019: District Final, venue TBA
- ? March 2019: Regional Final, host District 1285, venue TBA
- 4th May 2019: RIBI Final, Colchester Institute, Sheepen Rd, Colchester, Essex, CO3 3LL
This competition is for young people in District 1190 (Cumbria & Lancashire) and there will be no Regional Final or National Final.
Entrants are asked to submit one picture using any medium or combination of media e.g. Water colour, pencil, charcoal, pastels, collage, and acrylic. Pictures should be no larger than A1 size (594mm x 841mm) and can be on paper or canvas.
Each entrant must give a title to their work and may, if they wish, provide a description of no more than 50 words for their inspiration and how they have chosen to reflect the theme.
The topic for 2018-19 is: “Beauty of Nature”
- 2nd March 2019: Entries from school to clubs.
- 23rd March 2019: Entries from clubs to District Organiser
Young Textile Technologist
This is the 6th year of this District competition and it is now open to the whole District, Cumbria & Lancashire. It is designed to complete competitions for the Design and Technology subjects taught in schools and should not just be aimed at Art/Textiles departments.
- To encourage students to enjoy designing and making using textile material.
- To improve their designing and making skills and their confidence when using machinery.
- To encourage more students to choose textiles as an exam subject at Key Stage 4 (GCSE) and even A level where possible.
- To encourage schools to continue teaching Textile Technology at all levels.
The theme for 2017-18 is: “Beauty of Nature”
- 24th May 2019: Local heats to be completed by
- 7th June 2019: Entries to District Organiser.
- 19th June 2019: District Final, Lakes School, Windermere.
Rotary Technology Tournament
Technology Tournaments are one day events for multiple teams of four students to engage with Science, Technology,
Engineering and Maths (STEM) by collectively solving a previously unseen technology task.
Rotary also offers Junior Technology Tournaments for younger pupils in partnership with the Rochester Bridge Trust.
Each team is required to design, develop, build and then test their solution, with the tournament offering a fun way to develop team building, communication and time management skills.