Club achievements 18/19
Report on Service given and Charitable giving in Rotary Year 2018/19
Rotary Club of Bradford
Report on Service given and Charitable donations made
in Rotary Year 2018/19
This is a provisional account of the service given and / or money distributed to charities (actually sent or approved by Club Council) by the 42 members of the Rotary Club of Bradford during the course of the Rotary year 2018/19 (1st July to 30th June inclusive).
The club raised over £8,000 this year from supermarket collections, social events, raffles, successful grant applications, other fundraising and members donations. Using this and cash in hand we have dispersed over £10,000 of which over 80 % went to Bradford charities.
(NB these are provisional figures, a full audited account will be produced later.)
Community, Youth, Vocational & Environmental Service work in Bradford
· With the help of a successful bid for a Rotary District Grant we gave £3,000 to the charity ‘EMBRACE’- Child Victims of crime who used this to support Bradford child victims.
· We maintained two Interact Clubs which introduce local schoolchildren to Rotary ideals and, with our Club’s participation and supervision, they also worked to help the community. They in turn gave service and raised funds which are not included here.
· Again we sponsored young people from a local inner city secondary school to attend Rotary Youth Leadership schemes (Rotary Ocean Youth Trust and Rotary Youth Leadership Award schemes). In total three selected young people benefited from week long courses in learning self-reliance and leadership and were also introduced to the ideals of Rotary.
· We helped organise events for schoolchildren to improve skills in public speaking and cookery.
· In short, we have therefore worked on an ongoing basis with three local schools.
· We undertook 4 days (0900 -1800) of supermarket collections advertising the work of Rotary as well as collecting money.
· We organised a Christmas Service in Bradford Cathedral for local service organisations and gave the £900 raised to the work of the Cathedral in the community.
· Our environmental service included our own members maintaining two flower beds in Thornton, and replacing a vandalised plaque by the two commemorative trees we planted last year in the City Centre.
· We again supported “Heaton Woods Trust”, by giving over £280 to support their work and to repair damage to the children’s playground we financed two years ago.
We have financially supported the following community groups and charities working in Bradford:-
“EMBRACE – Child Victims of crime” (Bradford) £ 3,000
Sponsor young person on OYT Rotary Leadership event x 2 £ 1,170
Bradford Cathedral Community work £ 900
Forget Me Not Children’s Hospice £ 500
Bradford Life Education attendance by Low Moor First School £ 500
Bradford Soup Run £ 500
Sponsor young person on RYLA youth leadership week £ 475
Expenses running Young Chef & Youth Speaks competitions £ 296
Heaton Woods Trust – Childrens Play area £ 280
Marie Curie Hospice Bradford £ 250
Lord Mayors Charity £ 250
Bradford Bangladesh Cricket festival £ 200
Interact Charity donation £ 26
A total of £ 8,347
International Relief and development support
We have donated two emergency Shelter boxes £ 1000
Total £ 1,000
We have paid £1080 or over US $33 per head at current exchange rates to Rotary Foundation this year. A similar amount to sums given during the past eight years.
Total Paid to Rotary Foundation £ 1,080
Overall Club total support this Rotary year to all charities or local causes
Grand Total £10,427*
* Figures to 10 June of 2019 – full year figures will be available from Club audited Accounts in the autumn.