Club achievements 17/18
Club achievements 17/18
Rotary Club of Bradford
Report on Service given and Charitable giving in Rotary Year 2017/18
This is a provisional account of the service given and / or money distributed to charities (actually sent or approved by Club Council) by the 40 members of the Rotary Club of Bradford during the course of the Rotary year 2017/18 (1st July to 30th June inclusive).
The club raised over £12,000 this year from supermarket collections, social events, raffles, successful grant applications, other fundraising and members donations. Using this and cash in hand we have dispersed nearly £13,500 of which over 79 % went to Bradford charities.
(NB these are provisional figures, a full audited account will be produced later.)
Community, Youth, Vocational & Environmental Service work in Bradford
* With the help of a legacy and a successful bid for a Rotary District Grant we gave £4000 to Marie Curie Hospice, Bradford to buy equipment which will assist them in caring for their patients suffering from Motor Neurone Disease.
* We maintained two Interact Clubs which introduce local schoolchildren to Rotary ideals and, with our Club’s participation and supervision, they work to help the community.
* Again we sponsored young people from a local inner city secondary school to attend Rotary Youth Leadership schemes. (Rotary Ocean Youth Trust and Rotary Youth Leadership Award scheme.) In total three selected young people benefited from week long courses learning self-reliance and leadership and were also introduced to the ideals of Rotary.
* We enabled a junior school to send pupils to benefit from the “Life Education” scheme.
* In short, including “Positive Lifestyle”, we have therefore worked with five local schools.
* We helped organise events for schoolchildren focussing on public speaking and cookery.
* We again supported “Heaton Woods Trust”, by giving over £500 to further develop the children’s’ playground we paid for last year.
* We undertook 4 days (0900 -1800) of supermarket collections advertising the work of Rotary as well as collecting money.
* We organised a Christmas Service in Bradford Cathedral and gave the £750 raised to the work of the Cathedral in the community.
* Our environmental service included our own members maintaining two flower beds in Thornton, and separately working with Bradford Council we planted two commemorative trees in the City Centre, and also we cleared waste ground near a major arterial route into the City.
We have financially supported the following community groups working in Bradford:-
Marie Curie Bradford £ 4000
Bradford Cathedral Community work £ 755
Positive Lifestyle programme at “One In a Million” School £ 700
Costs associated with local environmental work £ 620
Heaton Woods Trust – Childrens Play area £ 570
Sponsor young person on OYT Rotary Leadership event £ 570
Low Moor School attendance at “Life Education” courses £ 500
Forget Me Not Childrens Hospice £ 500
Sponsor young person on RYLA youth leadership week £ 475
Expenses running Young Chef & Youth Speaks competitions £ 399
Martin House Childrens Hospice £ 395
“Lifelite” children’s charity £ 300
Lord Mayors Charity £ 250
Bradford Court Chaplaincy Service £ 250
McMillan Cancer Care £ 250
“Aim” Education £ 150
A total of £ 10,684
International Relief and development support
* We have donated two emergency Shelter boxes £ 1100
* Sal’s Shoes £ 150
Total £ 1,250
* We have paid £1025 or over US $45 per head at current exchange rates to Rotary Foundation this year. A similar amount to sums given during the past seven years.
* Support to Rotary Polio Plus £503
Total Paid to Rotary Foundation £ 1,528
Overall Club total support this Rotary year to all charities or local causes
Grand Total £13,642*
* Figures to 10 June of 2018 – full year figures will be available from Club audited Accounts in the autum