What we are doing internationally
International events and projects supported by Cheadle and District Rotary Club
Cheadle Rotary Club supports international aid
The work of Rotary International depends on the wholehearted commitment of its local clubs. The Rotary Club of Cheadle and District supports many causes and projects through its fundraising and active participation in projects such as:
- Polio Plus, which aims to eradicate Polio across the globe;
- Disaster aid in the form of Emergency Boxes which provide shelter, household provisions and clean water for desperate families;
- Financial contributions to disasters such as the earthquake in Japan, The Philippines and Nepal.
- Regular filling of shoe boxes with household basics to provide emergency aid to needy people;
- Funding for a life-changing music project in one of South Africa's many townships.
- Establishing a partnership with The Kingsway School in Cheadle and Kolwenny School in Kenya through a link with The Rowley Charity. Durng the evening of 21st July 2015 Angela & Steve Rowley were awarded Honorary membership of this club and a cheque was presented to them from a successful bid for a District Grant towrads their air fare to Kenya for a recent visit to Kolwenny School. There are realistic and highly anticipated hopes of this partnership developing. Mike Payne from District 1285 also attended and is providing valuable support towards a bifd for a Rotary Global Grant. Rotarians from Stcokport also attended and are eager for Stockport Rotary Club to become part of this project. Two members of staff from Kolweeny School are visiting the UK in September and we hope they will join us at one of our Rotary meetings. A successful bid for a Global Grant will significantly promote the partnership between students at The Kingsway School and Kolwenny School. It is hoped that students from both schools will benefit from this project by increasing their awareness for respective cultures, enhancing their own social and life skills. This is an exciting Rotary Project that will have significant outcomes for the spiritual, moral, socila and cultural development of all concernd.
'Rotary is not just about fellowship' says Patha Basu our International committee chairperson, 'whenever there is any disaster in the world, Rotarians will be there'.