We are a very active group with a membership of 36, meeting every Monday (except Bank Holidays) in The Atlantic Hotel. During the year we undertake a wide range of events and activities and these are summarised below. If you would like further information on the Club or the events please send an e-mail to Jeff Perren at firstname.lastname@example.org
COLLECTING MONEY FOR LOCAL CHARITIES:
- Carolcade - taking a sleigh around parts of Porthcawl on 4 evenings in December
- Street Collections - these take place in John Street on Saturdays in December
- Rotary Christmas Post - over the past few years we have collected and delivered nearly 4,000 letters and cards in the CF36 postcode area
- Race Night - entertaining evening watching/supporting video horse racing followed by a meal
- Christmas Tree Festival - display in All saints Church of over 50 christmas trees decorated by local organisations (donations shared with the Church)
BUT ROTARY IS NOT JUST ABOUT COLLECTING MONEY FOR CHARITY
- Sunday Services in Residential Homes - held on two Sundays each month
- Bingo and Singalong in Residential Homes - held on two Wednesday evenings each month
- Afternoon Tea Party - held in All Saints Church Hall in August for those in Residential homes
- Know Your Blood Pressure Day - held on a Saturday in April. Each year we test around 180 people.............with several being advised to see their GP as their blood pressure was high.
- Fish and Chip evening - the evening (usually held in October) includes a 'friendly' team quiz
- Treasure Hunt - held on a summer evening. Straightforward and some very devious clues, as we drive around the local area. Followed by a meal in a stated location in case some people get lost!!
- Rotary Quiz - knock-out competition between Rotary Clubs. Friendly but competitive!
WORKING WITH SCHOOLS AND YOUTH ORGANISATIONS:
- RYLA - one or two students are selected to attend the Rotary Young Leadership Award course in Storey Arms, Brecon.
- Young Writers Competition - annual competition for children in the Primary Schools in Porthcawl
- Yound Musician - annual competition for musicians and soloists which is held to coincide with the Chrsitmas Tree Festival. Winners go forward to district and regional finals.
- Kids Out - along with other Rotary Clubs groups of 40 to 50 pupils from local Primary Schools are given a day out in the Gower.
- International Night - after musical entertainment and a meal, around 12 students from Atlantic College provide short presentations/talks on their country, language, background etc. This evening normally takes place in February and is attended by around 150 people.
SUPPORT FOR INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS
The Club has supported a range of projects overseas from making micro loans to small businesses (and reloaning the repayments), to providing grants for water projects and along with other Clubs supporting the End Polio Now campaign.
Porthcawl also makes a monthly contribution to the work of Doctor Bank an organisation which is involved in providing medical assistance in African. Countries. Payments only cover expenses of medical teams as they provide their services free of charge.
Be part of a global network of volunteers, trying to make the world a better place. Please also see the 'links & news' page for information from the local district and live feeds from Rotary International and Rotary International in GB&I.
Family Rotary club use skills to kick-start local charities
Rotary members unite to tackle world hunger
Meetings & Venue
Where and when:
(( 1st and 4th 19:30))
Atlantic Hotel, West Drive, Porthcawl, CF36 3LT 01656 785011