Kirkintilloch is an ancient town, whose name comes from Caerpentaloch, meaning Fort at the Head of the Hill. The fort in question was one of those along the line of the Roman Antonine Wall, and its remains were sited on the small hill which now forms part of Peel Park. The line of the wall itself has long been obscured through Kirkintilloch, but there are other Roman sites nearby. The best of these is at Bar Hill, three miles from Kirkintilloch.
Kirkintilloch started to grow in the mid 1700s with the development of textile based industries such as bleach works. A further boost arrived with the building of the Forth and Clyde Canal in 1785 which passed through the centre of Kirkintilloch.
In 1826 the railway started using horse-drawn wagons carrying coal from the coalfields around Coatbridge to a transfer point on the Forth and Clyde Canal in Kirkintilloch. From there it was shipped by canal to Falkirk or Edinburgh.
Kirkintilloch in the 1900s was perhaps most famous for being one of the few totally dry areas of Scotland: alcohol was prohibited from sale as a result of the strength of the local temperance movement. This situation lasted right through to the 1970s when the influx of population from Glasgow changed the balance of local opinion, and Kirkintilloch's period of prohibition was voted down.
Today's Kirkintilloch is an interesting mixture of different elements. The restoration of the Forth and Clyde Canal has brought a steady flow of water-borne tourists to a town which seeks to blend the old and the new. Perhaps most successfully this blend finds the magnificent new William Patrick Library looking across the road at the equally magnificent Barony Chambers. The chambers were built in 1815 to provide a meeting room for the Town Council, jail and parish school. Today it is used as offices by the museum service.
Be part of a global network of volunteers, trying to make the world a better place. Please also see the 'links & news' page for information from the local district and live feeds from Rotary International and Rotary International in GB&I.
Meetings & Venue
Where and when:
From the 13th September 2016 the Club will meet at Kirkintilloch Golf Club , Campsie Road , Kirkintilloch G66 1RN G66 1RN 0141 775 2387